New Haven Register-Milford Community Engagement

The New Haven Register has made it its highest priority to engage the community, either through social media, or preferably in person.
I’ve embraced the social media part as evidenced by my frequent activity on Facebook and Twitter. The face-to-face stuff is still more of a challenge for me. I presided over a candidates forum last year which attracted about 75 candidates and Milford residents. It was successful, but even though I knew most of the people I just deplore public speaking or being the center of attention in a public forum.
I did an adequate job at best of keeping the candidate’s forum moving, but it was a struggle.
Well over the next two days I have two opportunities to step out from my comfort zone. Tonight at 6 p.m. I will be speaking to the Milford Parent Leadership Institute tonight, where I will share tips on how to submit letters to the editor, and talk about the news gathering process.
On Tuesday from 6 to 9 p.m. I will be a small part of the Milford Public School’s business expo held at Jonathan Law High School, 10 Lansdale Avenue. I will be there to talk about the career of journalism, and I will be handing out papers, free of course, so that is a $0.75 freebie.
While I’m anxious about public speaking I am looking forward to meeting residents, who are the same people who keep me employed by reading our stories either online or in print.

Brian McCready
Milford Bureau Chief
New Haven Register
Twitter @nhrbmccready
203-789-5719

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milford's Unsolved Murders

Milford Police Blotter | Sept. 25

Milford Police Blotter | Sept. 20 - 23